Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Different Kind of Vintage Yumminess-Loose Meat Sandwiches

Authentic Loose Meat Sandwich
My family and I used to travel to Wichita, Kansas periodically. Not that there was anything particularly exciting to see there, but that's where my family came from and we still had family there. I was quite young and don't remember a lot about Wichita, mainly I remember my Aunties house and all the interesting trinkets and the good food she cooked.  

One time we visited a local restaurant that served loose meat sandwiches. It was a curious sort of restaurant with a large bar that wrapped around the central cooking area.  It was kind of dark, and busy and bustling.  I was very young at the time, probably only 6 or 7 years old. I don't recall much of the experience except that I really liked the loose meat sandwich.  

I've thought of that visit from time to time over the years and wondered if the restaurant is still there but mainly I thought about that sandwich.....

So here I am years later in the internet age and I thought I'd see if I could find a recipe and sure enough a Google later and I was knee deep in loose meat options.  I found one that boasted to be "THE authentic" version, so that's the one I picked. 

And here's the recipe with a few (low fat) adaptations.  

I really hated to change a thing but the recipe called for a high fat ground beef and added lard or Crisco!!!  I guess that's proof it's a vintage recipe.  Sorry but my arteries can't take it.  

1 Lb. lean ground beef 
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
1 small onion diced finely
2 teaspoons of salt
1 Tablespoon Mustard
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Cup Water

Add oil to a pan and cook onions until tender and starting to caramelize.  Then add the salt and ground beef.  Brown the beef stirring it and breaking it up.  Cook until it's nice and brown and starts to crisp up a little.  Add the mustard, vinegar and sugar. Mix it up nicely and add water to just cover the meat.  Let it simmer until the water is gone.  
Serve it up on a toasted bun with mustard and pickles. YUM!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment