Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fork, Fork, Fork!!!

I found a collection of silverplate forks at an estate sale this weekend. I'm not sure why the owner had so many forks but no spoons or knives, but perhaps she's like me and buys things with an idea in mind and well....somewhere along the way the idea just becomes a pile of forks.  So I decided that one persons pile of forks in another person's treasure. 

Is it your treasure? If so, check out my Etsy site because I'm selling some of them.  If you're not sure, here's some really cool stuff you can make with old forks.

Jewelry-You can make some very unique and interesting jewelry from forks. There are some very creative artists on Etsy using forks to make bracelets, rings and pendants.  There's even an artist who uses the tines and stamps words into the tines. 

fork peace sign keychain

fork peace sign keychain
zoom
[Record instance EtsyModel_Listing listing_id = 65577211]->title [Record instance EtsyModel_Listing listing_id = 65577211]->title
[Record instance EtsyModel_Listing listing_id = 65577211]->title
handcrafted, silver plated fork bent to portray the traditional peace sign, can be a charm, backpack decor, keychain 
 

Recycled Silver Fork Bracelet in Original Heart Design Number Three

Recycled Silver Fork Bracelet in Original Heart Design Number Three
zoom
[Record instance EtsyModel_Listing listing_id = 65567325]->title [Record instance EtsyModel_Listing listing_id = 65567325]->title [Record instance EtsyModel_Listing listing_id = 65567325]->title [Record instance EtsyModel_Listing listing_id = 65567325]->title [Record instance EtsyModel_Listing listing_id = 65567325]->title
This one-of-a-kind unique silver fork bracelet was hand made from a recycled silver-plated fork. A heart is magically formed by overlapping prongs, while the other prongs whimsically wave up and curl down.
 

EinZtein Quote Fork Bracelet

EinZtein Quote Fork Bracelet
zoom
Just a plain ol' vintage fork hand stamped with Einstein's quote "Imagination is more important than knowledge"... 
 
Here are some instructions on how you can make your own.  Looks like all you need is a fork and some pliers. Instructions
 
 
 
 
 









And there's more than just jewelry. Here's a wonderful Instructable (super website) on making a wall hook from a old fork.



















And here are the instructions.

This one looks easy. I think this would be best on kitchen curtains.
How cute! Here are the instructions.























So I know what I'm going to do with mine, what are you going to do with yours?

5 comments:

  1. Forks were quite an invention in the Middle Ages -- moved us from slopping around with spoons and knives (peas on my knife) to civilization. How we take them for granted. So I love how you look at them -- really look at them so they progress from spearing food to becoming Art. I must say your photos themselves are Art and I simply adore them. I'm delighted you found your Forks and have inspired me to look at mine more closely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the peace sign keychain and the heart bracelet!

    While polishing my grandmother's silver(plate) in preparation for my mom's birthday party recently, I discovered that the tines/bowls of some of the forks/spoons were worn thru to the base metal. I'm planning to make napkin rings with the handle portion (I've also seen these on etsy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Napkin rings! That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that one. Would love to see pics of the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can get your silver-plate re-plated if you want to keep your set. I'm not sure of the cost but I don't think it'd be too much. Kudos to you for polishing them! I use my silver-plate everyday, tarnished or not, seeing the brass or not...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love reading this article so beautiful!!great job! https://foodkeychains.com/

    ReplyDelete